Something has been on my mind lately.
Maybe it is because of the thousands of emails that I get in a week. Or the thousands I send. Maybe its because of all the people that I never talk to anymore as we communicate electronically. Whatever the reason, the art of email I find is really lost.
Although I am totally an offender of this – and I know I am, I would like to share some things about email that I think are important notes to make. It is a great reminder for me as well.
1. When you are replying to an email, even if you are trying to get it off your plate, take a second to double check you answered and addressed everything in that email. Please don’t cause 4 more emails with answering only 1 of the 2 questions, or answering a completely different question. In the long run, its more efficient than rushing it out – trust me.
2. If you are replying to an email from a smartphone, or late at night after a few beverages, please see 1. and triple check.
3. Sending emails that are more than 1 or 2 small paragraphs is insane. Pick up the phone and make a phone call. Exception to the rule, you are sharing important information with a group of people that you can’t communicate with otherwise.
4. Don’t use email for passive aggressive commentary or venting. See 3. Phone or in person is always best. Way too many say things in email that they wouldn’t dream of saying on the phone or in person to someone.
5. Check who is cc:ed on the email. If someone was cc:ed, they should probably be cc:ed on your response as long as it is appropriate. Use your common sense on this. Exception to the rule – no need to respond to all with a Thanks! or a Will do! It just adds to the email clutter in everyones inbox.
6. Lastly, if you are sending an attachment, double check that it is there.
Now, I am going to go check and send some emails.